The policy supports the Public Guardian’s role in safeguarding, and sets out how OPG will "work with other agencies to recognise and manage suspicions, allegations and findings of abuse of adults and children at risk, who are within the Public Guardian’s remit."
The policy is underpinned by six principles, identified as:
- Empowerment – putting people first and helping those who lack mental capacity feel involved and informed
- Protection – supporting victims so they can take action
- Prevention – responding quickly to suspected cases of abuse
- Proportionality – making sure what we do is appropriate to the situation and for the individual
- Partnership – sharing the right information in the right way
- Accountability – making sure all agencies have a clear role
The full document can be downloaded from the OPG site here.